Burton Primary School
New Pre-school building and internal alterations of School
Dorset County Council
Teaching Salon - Hair & Beauty
February 2015 - August 2015
- Early involvement at Design team meetings to develop the scheme pre-planning collaboratively to budgets.
- Early meeting with Client and School to agree logistics and site set up to minimise disruption to school operation and local residents, (especially as new pre-school on public fields).
- The works required the construction of a new 10m x 17m Pre-School building on unused public grounds to create bright, well-lit circulation and shared play and learning areas with rooms/facilities designed for accessibility.
- Most subcontractors/suppliers were appointed at an early stage to be involved with the design collaboration and co-ordination of the works.
- Reduce levels in preparation for the concrete trench foundations and ground slab with mesh reinforcement.
- The timber framework building was fabricated as per structural engineer’s design (employed by HPC) and external walls constructed with timber frame and brickwork façade, aluminium powder coated doors and windows.
- Considerable effort was made to get samples of bricks and larch for approval before construction.
- Glulam columns and beams installed and an insulated flat roofing system installed.
- Specialist contracted works included installation of solar pv system and pumped drainage arrangements.
- Internally the areas were divided up with the installation of stud and track partition walling systems, which were plastered and decorated.
- New floor finishes in non-slip vinyl for wet areas and Heckmondwike Supacord for all other spaces.
- Internal fit out included the installation of colourful & functional children’s W.C facilities with solid compact laminate cubicles, vanity units and duct sets.
- A separate accessible toilet was also built with matching colour selections but in compliance with DDA regulations
- Tea-Point facility for staff incorporating reduced height sink for pupils use.
- Externally the area was landscaped, fenced, and paths / parking areas surfaced with tarmac.
- HP Contracts managed the sub-contracted mechanical and electrical project elements.
- These were competitively tendered by companies on our approved contractor list. The electrical package included the fire alarm and security system requirements to minimise the number of subcontractors involved.
- Once on site there were regular meetings with the Client and sub-contractors to review the progress against programme and co-ordinate the upcoming works. Meetings also included a walkabout over the scheme so that quality was constantly reviewed and any issues addressed as works progressed.
- On completion full training and instruction given on all systems and equipment installed and a full Operations and Maintenance manual handed over.
- All works undertaken with close liaison with local authority for planning and building control approval, inspections and final certification.
- A second phase of works in the Main school principally involved alterations to the staff room, classroom, kitchen and servery areas.
- Close liaison with school to prepare the area for works.
- Tight programming to ensure works completed within six week school holiday.
- Works segregated and temporary protection put in place to prevent transfer of dust.
- Thorough clean on completion so ready for staff/pupils to re-occupy and use.
- Works included soft strip out and preparation of surfaces for skim coat plastering.
- Traditional stud and track internal partition walls erected.
- New fire rated doors and frames installed with stainless steel ironmongery to match existing.
- New suspended ceiling with integral light fittings.
- Kitchenette with sink and free standing appliances in staff room.
- Purpose made solid laminate kitchen/servery units.
- New servery hatch created and roller shutter installed, linked to fire alarm.
- New floor coverings installed.
- Complete decoration.
- The works had been tendered as a package so the same M&E contractors were involved throughout which allowed continuity of works and maintenance of the effective working relationships that had been developed.
If you are planning an office fit out, partitioning, external works or anything in-between please contact us, we will call you back as soon as possible to discuss how we can help you improve your work space.
Please click on the link below to contact us or call the office on 02380 273 737.